Bowen Therapy, or the Bowen Technique, is a therapy derived from the unique and gentle bodywork technique developed by Tom Bowen in the 1960’s in Geelong, Australia.
It is a gentle therapy which, using a series of rolling-type moves followed by short breaks, aims to stimulate the nervous system to “converse” with different areas of the body.
There are several theories as to how Bowen actually works, including:
- Meridian lines and acupuncture points. There are common lines and points of influence throughout our bodies, which have been documented over thousands of years, in many different techniques. Triggering these specific points can bring about change in the body, not only in the area around the point, but also in distant areas of the body.
- “Structure governs function, and vice versa”. This osteopathic principle dictates that if there is a misalignment, there will be an impact on the function of organs and soft tissue structures around it. If there are issues within an organ’s soft tissues, whether through pain reactions or lines of tension, there will be an impact on function both of the organ itself, and of the wider areas around it.
By addressing directly these lines of tension and key points, in specific order, as Bowen does, it is possible to evoke great change; improve alignment and function, reduce pain, promote healing and restore balance. The calming effect on the nervous system can improve sleep, lower blood pressure, and reduce stress and anxiety.
What can Bowen help?
Bowen Therapy is a holistic technique, treating the body as a whole entity. It seeks to address the root cause of symptoms, rather than directly being a “treatment” for specific conditions. It can be used on everyone, from infants through to the elderly, for both acute and chronic issues
Bowen has been seen to be effective in the following conditions:
- Hayfever and Sinus Issues
- Headaches and Migranes
- Jaw problems
- Neck Pain and Whiplash
- Bronchial and Respiratory Problems
- Shoulder Problems
- Breast Problems
- Reflux and Infant Colic
- Tennis Elbow
- Digestive Problems
- Back Pain
- Carpal Tunnel
- Pregnancy and Fertility Issues
- Hip and Pelvic Pain
- Menstrual Problems
- Groin Pain
- Groin Strain
- Hamstring Problems
- Knee Problems
- Ankle and Foot Problems
Source: Adapted from Bowen Therapy Professional Association (BTPA)
Bowen Therapy has also been effective in the management of conditions such as:
- Eczema and Psoriasis
- ADHD, Dyspraxia and Autism
- Neurological Conditions e.g. Parkinsons, Stroke and Cerebral Palsy
- Stress and Anxiety
What do clients report?
- Feeling relaxed
- Feeling more energised
- Reduced pain symptoms
- Improved movement
- Better quality sleep
- Improved sports performance
- Reduction in injury occurrence/recurrence
Hip Dislocation: “I have been seeing Victoria for Bowen Therapy after a hip dislocation. The difference in stability after just one session was incredible, as was the reduction of pain. Due to the relaxing nature of the therapy, I have also slept better than ever. I highly recommend Victoria and urge you to see her; Bowen really works!”
Shoulder Injury - CrossFit Competitor: “I went to see Victoria out of curiosity and Bowen Therapy definitely peaked my interest. She gave a thorough assessment and really listened to everything that I had to say. The treatment itself was extremely gentle but as the day progressed, my body felt like it had gone through an intense sports massage. My shoulder was really acting up and after the first session, I could really feel the difference. My shoulder is now healed. I will definitely continue to see her and have been recommending her to my family and friends.”
Additional comments after maintenance treatment 2 weeks later:
“I got my first chest to bar pull up on Saturday! My lats fired correctly!!! I’m so sore now but in a great way. Super happy with my result - I got 29 chest to bars. That’s 29 more than I got last year and it can only get better from here. Again, thank you so much! Whatever you did really made a huge difference.”