POSTNATAL BELLY BINDING & JAMU MASSAGE
Postnatal Jamu massage is a popular South East Asian practice that is used to help new mothers recover from childbirth naturally. It is different from regular massage as it is specifically designed around the physiology of women who have just given birth. As such, the massage has varying degree of pressure exerted and different focus points compared to a regular massage. A gentle, aromatic oil is used during the Jamu massage helping with blood circulation and expelling “wind”.
Jamu massage is followed by traditional Postnatal Belly Binding (Bengkung Belly Binding). This is a traditional Indonesian practice of wrapping a woman’s belly to assist in the recovery process after childbirth. The practitioner uses a long strip of cloth to wrap around the abdomen (usually from the hips up to the rib cage) so that the muscles remain engaged and unmoving. It helps to reduce swelling, water retention, support the back and shrink back the area to pre-pregnancy size as much as possible. Additionally, it helps lifting the uterus back into its natural position.
Benefits of Traditional Postnatal Belly Binding include:
- Pulling separated abdominal muscles back together (diastasis recti)
- Helping to dispel excess water, fat & air
- Helping the uterus and surrounding organs return to their pre-pregnant state
- Decreases postpartum bleeding time by speeding up the process of getting rid of waste blood in a natural way
- Supporting the body’s postural realignment post birth, especially while feeding or holding your baby
- Improved circulation
- Encouraging the closing and reshaping of the hips and rib cage
- Reducing the postpartum “pooch” that many women experience after birth
Typically, this treatment needs to be done over a period of days in order to provide effective results. Currently, our practitioner Elly Avcu, offers Postnatal Belly Binding & Jamu Massage sessions in packages of 10 days, 15 days and 20 days.
What to expect and what to know:
- Every session will start with a Jamu massage using special, organic oils
- This will be followed by a hot stone massage and belly binding
- The belly binding must be worn for at least 8 hours (minimum)
- Ideally, eat light meals before / after belly binding as your stomach may not have space to expand if a heavy meal is taken
When can I start?
Usually, for a normal delivery, the treatment can start 7 – 10 days after the delivery. For C-section delivery, the treatment can start 6 – 8 weeks after the delivery depending on the healing of the skin. Please note that for all c-section deliveries, we will require a confirmation letter from your OBGYN that your wound has healed and it is safe for you to proceed with the belly binding.